Thursday, January 9, 2014

Not quite Home for the Holidays

Tuesday morning my parents got a surprising call from Argentina. Around 7 in the morning (Utah time) I called them to let them know that I would be returning from Argentina to the states. I am sure that they were a little surprised, however it was a decision that I had thought and prayed about a lot. For those of you who don't know, two months ago (when I first got to Argentina) I fell walking down the stairs and hurt my ankle. I did all that I could in Argentina, but unfortunately part of being a missionary there includes walking close to 10 miles every day. This did not create a great healing environment. After two months of struggling, I finally decided that it was time to come home and get the medical help and rest that my foot so desperately needed.
When I initially called my parents, I had no travel plans, I only knew that I would be coming home soon. I told them that when I had plans, I would call them again and let them know. Two hours later, I received my plans that I would be flying out THAT NIGHT! I am sure that they were more than shocked to receive that news, I know I was. This was around 2 Argentina time. Everything turned into a whirlwind. I had to go to the mission home, finish up a few things in the office, and pack. By the time I got back to my pension, I had 30 minutes to pack everything. By the time I left for the Airport, I had only had my plans for 3 hours. Then, 25 hours later I was flying into the beautiful Salt Lake Valley.

The very next day I was able to get in to see a great foot doctor. They put me in a walking boot (thank goodness I don't have to do the crutches thing again!!) that I will have for 6 weeks. The doctor said that what I need is to immobilize it, and then to strengthen it, which is something that I could not do while in Argentina. So I got a cortisone shot, and I will start Physical therapy in a week or so.
The goal right now is to go back out. That really is all that I want. Even if I do not feel like my foot is strong enough to go back to Argentina, I want to finish doing that Lord's work here in the States. We are hopeful that I can be out in the mission field in 12 weeks or less. Regardless of where I go, I know that this is the Lord's Work! I am so glad that I got to be a part of it, even if just for 6 months, and I am so excited to finish my service. I pray that while I am here I can learn and grow and be an instrument in his hands.
One of the last days in Argentina. P-Day soccer. (well I
watched and ate ice cream, still fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment