Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Enduring Well

This week has been relatively uneventful... When you have a gimped foot, there isn't a whole lot that I can do, but that's okay! My foot is getting stronger (slowly) and I can touch it without pain! Yay!
Because i am technically a Return Missionary, I had the opportunity this past week to speak with a member of the High Council. I was assigned to talk on the article on enduring to the end from the January Ensign. What really struck me as I was preparing and giving this talk was the importance of Enduring WELL. It's great to get through a trial, but our attitude about it is the biggest thing. A lot of times, it's not necessarily what we do in life, but what we learn from it.In Doctrine and Covenants 121 Joseph Smith is having a huge trial in Liberty Jail. When he asks the Lord where he is, The Lord says ' My son, peace be unto thy soul: thine adversity and thin afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt the on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes' (D&C 121:7-8). This is such an amazing promise. No matter what our trials are, if we endure well, we will triumph. I was also impressed with how it is a small moment. I will be the first to admit that in the middle of a trial, it seems huge and long lasting. (an example of this that i experienced was realizing I have been home for 3 weeks already, then my aunt said 'wow, really? that went fast!' and all I could think was 'uhhhhh not really....') BUT in the eternal scheme of things, our trials are really small moments of our lives, and the rewards that we can receive are SO WORTH IT! I know that the Lord truly is aware of us. Just like he called Joseph, 'my son' he knows each of us as his children. He is aware of our struggles and our needs, and he will help us triumph over all our foes.

No comments:

Post a Comment